[NCLUG] From no Electricity to Linux

DJ Eshelman djsbignews at gmail.com
Thu Sep 18 12:44:17 MDT 2008

I'm not sure myself, though I do remember going to someone's house with
an NES once.  My first gaming system was a PS one in 1999.  I was
already playing Descent on RedHat 5 at that point, though :)

I remember before we moved to BFE I had a old Tandy computer in 1984; I
remember doing some fun stuff with that...  but I really wonder
sometimes how that all translated into me being where I am today.  Oddly
enough my father was an electronics technician for Ampex until 1985, so
I think there was some carryover there.  That's a whole other odd story,
but I learned a great deal about electronics early in life (I learned
Ohm's law before Algebra).  Kind of an odd mix between tech and lo tech-
my father never did make any sense to me.  This is also why I don't
smoke pot- I've seen what it does first hand :)

Actually, I'm willing to bet that most people- that do this for a
living, anyway- noticed sometime that they just had a natural affinity
for it.  For me, I remember taking a computer skills course in college
and spending more time helping classmates than actually listening to the
professor.  It became obvious pretty quickly that I had the ability to
help others with computers, so I guess that just evolved to the point
where I started getting paid to do it.

However- I think there is one aspect of my formative years that carried
over; when I was faced with cutting your own firewood, finding creative
ways to entertain yourself and being largely alone for the majority of
your pre-teen and early teen years- I learned to walk off the beaten
path quite a bit.

I think there's a spirit of that in my interest in Linux- I've always
loved that there's others like me that don't just 'take it as it comes'
but always want to find innovative ways that work for you.  There's a
large amount of satisfaction in it, and it feeds and feeds on other
areas of life.

I seem to remember talking to Dan and maybe Michael a few years ago
about some of this, but that may have been off list :)

-DJ