[NCLUG] PC for Linux (Ubuntu)

Chad Perrin perrin at apotheon.com
Thu Sep 18 16:25:01 MDT 2008

On Wed, Sep 17, 2008 at 07:48:38PM -0600, Jim Hutchinson wrote:

> A while back I read a "theory" by Eric S. Raymond in which he claimed that
> the next monopoly OS would be decided this year and would be the one that
> did 64bit the best. He felt it would be Linux because Apple didn't seem to
> care and windows was too dependent on third party drivers. At least that was
> my take on it. I'm not positive but this might be the link
> http://www.catb.org/esr/writings/world-domination/world-domination-201.html.
> If I goofed up on my summary I'm sure I'll be corrected.
>
> I bring this up because just the other day I read a story that said sales of
> 64bit vista had tripled recently (albeit to about 3 or 4% or something).
> Sorry, I can't find the story but it was on CNN's tech page in the last week
> or so.
>
> I'm not sure what that means but I suspect it means there are probably more
> 64bit windows users than there are Linux users which kind of punches holes
> in any hopes of seeing Raymond's theory become reality. The conclusion I
> draw from this is that Linux users should use 64bit as much as possible to
> help show demand for it as well as help it improve.

I'd prefer to see that amended to say "open source OS users" rather than
"Linux users".

Of course, before I start using a 64bit OS of any flavor, I'll need some
64bit hardware.  I'm currently running all 32bit processors around here.

I just don't have incredibly high RAM and CPU demand 'round here.

--
Chad Perrin [ content licensed PDL: http://pdl.apotheon.org ]
Anne McClintock, University of Wisconsin: "The decisions that really