[NCLUG] Re: "Green" power -- off grid

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Thu Sep 18 16:47:18 MDT 2008

DJ Eshelman wrote:
> Along these lines- I recently have been approached by two of my clients
> wondering how they can 'green up' their datacenters.

Are they using the natural cold we have here for much of the year?  There
are some bypass systems that will use outside air to either cool the inside
air (like a heat exchanger, but in reverse), or use the outside air
directly.

As A/C uses roughly the same amount of energy as the computers themselves,
this could result in >25% savings on power over the year here.

Another thing I heard of was a data center that had patented putting a wall
between the hot and cold aisles.  That makes a lot of sense to me, as it
means the hot air never has the chance to mingle with cooler air, and
possibly that you can just vent that air and use outside air which is
almost always below 100 (about what you can handle with A/C on a machine
room that's run at 70 degrees on the input side).