Linux World domination (was Re: [NCLUG] PC for Linux (Ubuntu))

grant at amadensor.com grant at amadensor.com
Thu Sep 18 17:23:59 MDT 2008

> When there are no longer jobs for people to write software, there
> will be less demand for formal training in writing software, and
> with it the pool of those writing software will become small.
>
> The best situation is where FOSS and proprietary software recognize
> they are symbiotic by nature, and support each other, rather than
> the current context that FOSS will eliminate proprietary software.

I fail to see how FLOSS removes salaries from software developers.   I
am a software developer for a living.  Everything I write is for my
employer to use in-house.  If I can use FLOSS as a starting point, it
cust my time, and makes me more efficient.   I am then cheaper than
buying a package.  If I contribute my improvements back to the
community, we lose nothing, and gain eyeballs on any bugs.

Some developers who write applications for shrink-wrap may lose out,
but there are far more of us who write things for in-house use, and we
will be unaffected.   It will take less time to write the same code,
but they will not need less of us because we will be able to cost
effectively replace packaged software.