Linux World domination (was Re: [NCLUG] PC for Linux (Ubuntu))

Rob Bayerl verigoth at gmail.com
Thu Sep 18 17:30:18 MDT 2008

On 9/18/08, John L. Bass <jbass at dmsd.com> wrote:
> When there are no longer jobs for people to write software, there will
> be less demand for formal training in writing software, and with it the
> pool of those writing software will become small.

This may be true for something similar to a solitaire game or music
sharing application, most of which I suspect are written by
"uneducated" (read self-educated) people already.  If you are talking
about an enterprise application or piece of software used regularly by
a large number of consumers, there are plenty of successful companies
using a business model that charges for support.

Then again I may be biased since I have very little formal training
(or interest, really) in "Software Engineering".  Truthfully I could
care less if programming became something every citizen learned in
school, sort of like that other written language they make us all
learn (read English).