Linux World domination (was Re: [NCLUG] PC for Linux (Ubuntu))

Brian Wood bwood at beww.org
Thu Sep 18 18:17:35 MDT 2008

grant at amadensor.com wrote:

> Everyone learns algebra, but not everyone can be a mathematician. Just
> because everyone learns it, that does not mean it will become a
> commodity.

I disagree, not everyone learns algebra. I'd venture to guess that not
everyone has even taken a HS algebra class, which is far different from
learning algebra.

I suspect that if you stopped 100 people on the street, far less than
half would really understand what algebra is, never mind be competent at it.

You can graduate High School these days without having passed an algebra
course. I sometimes tutor community college students, and a LOT of them
have no idea what algebra is, of course the ones who do probably don't
need a math tutor, so I'm not seeing a representative sample. :-)

That's community college students. The ones who don't go past HS must
have an even lower percentage of algebraically literate folks, and the
HS dropouts may not even know the term.

Maybe that's a lot of the problem in the USA today :-)

beww