Linux World domination (was Re: [NCLUG] PC for Linux (Ubuntu))

Rob Bayerl verigoth at gmail.com
Thu Sep 18 23:20:06 MDT 2008

On 9/18/08, John L. Bass <jbass at dmsd.com> wrote:
> I fully understand GPL and copyright ... as you do, that isn't the issue
> at hand. The issue, is the ability of independent self employed software
> authors to profit from their work by selling proprietary software that
> is not open source, as well as corporations and other business that
> employ software authors.

Finally it all makes sense.  You agree with the free software movement
under the terms that you can utilize someone else's code for free, but
people should have to pay for your services because you are,
apparently, unwilling to adapt to changes in your chosen industry.
Personally, I believe that free software is a two-way street.  If you
use someone else's, you should provide code you have written.
Anything less is just selfish.

I would also like to point out that there is quite a difference
between a piece of software and a work of art (be it literature, a
painting or whatever).  Software is REQUIRED to utilize your already
owned hardware.  A painting is not required to utilize your wall.  If
it makes a difference, I also believe that music should be free as
well.  Commercialization of human expression seems almost demonic to
me.