Linux World domination (was Re: [NCLUG] PC for Linux (Ubuntu))

Chad Perrin perrin at apotheon.com
Fri Sep 19 12:29:03 MDT 2008

On Thu, Sep 18, 2008 at 06:02:58PM -0600, John L. Bass wrote:

> Open source software is supposed to about offering freedom of choice.
> Free software taking away the freedom of consumer to purchase their
> proprietary program they would choose, is about removing choice.

Err . . . is there some specific type of software that you imagine people
can only create as proprietary software?  I fail to see where open source
software would in any way eliminate choices in software.

> A programmer is an author, and should have the rights of any other
> author ... removing the rights of software authors, is just the first
> step of removing the rights from all authors, artists, and other
> creative people to remove their right of ownership, and right to make
> a living from their own creativity.

Whether copyright is a "natural" (read: ethical) right is a matter that
is open to debate.  Perhaps you should justify your support for copyright
before using it as a bludgeon.

--
Chad Perrin [ content licensed PDL: http://pdl.apotheon.org ]
Sean Reifschneider: "If java had real garbage-collection, it would