[NCLUG] Re: Linux World domination (was "Re: NCLUG Digest...", etc.)

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Fri Sep 19 16:09:48 MDT 2008

James DeWitt wrote:
> On Friday 19 September 2008 7:47:27 am John L. Bass wrote:
>> James DeWitt wrote:
>>> That was a personal attack. Please stop now.
>
> I'm just a jerk that way.  Ask anyone.  :-)

Nah, not at all.  Thanks for calling us out on it, I think it's needed.

As far as you being singled out, John, I think it's just an unfortunate
case of the nail that sticks out the most is the one that gets hammered.
:-)

Obviously, you weren't the only one you said some provocative things, and I
know you've already said you'll try to be more careful which is great.  And
I hope that everyone can follow your example.

I just wanted to remind everyone (a) try to avoid emotionally provocative
statements targeted at the other people ("don't be mean, you don't have to
be mean because, remember, wherever you go, there you are"), and (b) when
someone does make something that you take as a personal attack, try to just
ignore it rather than replying or escalating it...

I know it can be hard, but remember that we're all pretty smart here.  If I
say something stupid, people will realize it's stupid and I look stupid.
If you reply to it with something stupid, you look stupid too.

Stop Stupidity Now!

Thanks again, James, for policing us.