Linux World domination (was Re: [NCLUG] PC for Linux (Ubuntu))

Grant Johnson grant at amadensor.com
Fri Sep 19 18:47:20 MDT 2008

> In addition, even for many of the biggie titles there are freed
> alternatives. Sure, they are not alwasy as robust or fancy as the shrink
> wrapped titles but they exist and are not on the shelves for the same reason
> stated above.

Sometimes, it is the other way around.   I am also an audio guy, and it
used to be that the best two track audio editor was Cool Edit.   Adobe
bought it, and killed it.   Luckily we have Audacity (works in a similar
way) to replace it, so now the best one is freed, not shrunk.  Also,
since it is open and the code is out there, it cannot die if someone
buys out the developers.