Linux World domination (was Re: [NCLUG] PC for Linux (Ubuntu))

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Fri Sep 19 19:21:29 MDT 2008

On Fri, 19 Sep 2008 18:51:46 -0600
bwood at beww.org (Brian Wood) wrote:

> Grant Johnson wrote:
>

> > Anyway, the real point is this:  If a change in the way things work
> > (think buggy whips) removes your livelihood, adapt or go broke.  If
> > FLOSS kills off the market for shrink-wrap, and that is what you do,
> > maybe you need to find work installing and customizing FLOSS.
>
> Anybody have a copy of RAH's "Life Line"?

yep. ;)

> There was a scene in there where the life insurance companies were
> trying to shut down a guy who had developed a machine that would tell
> you the exact date and time of your death, (thus bankrupting the life
> insurance companies).
>
> The remarks from the judge, who basically said the same thing as
> quoted above, were great, Heinlein at his best IMHO.

Not sure, but you might mean the statement from the defendant in the
case, "doctor" Pinero:

"It is true that Amalgamated has lost business through my activities,
but that is the natural result of my discovery, which has made their
policies as obsolete as the bow and arrow. If an injunction is granted
on that ground, I shall set up a coal-oil-lamp factory, and then ask
for an injunction against the Edison and General Electric companies to
forbid them to manufacture incandescent bulbs."

> beww

kevin