Linux World domination (was Re: [NCLUG] PC for Linux (Ubuntu))

Jim Hutchinson jim at ubuntu-rocks.org
Fri Sep 19 21:39:56 MDT 2008

On Fri, Sep 19, 2008 at 6:47 PM, Grant Johnson <grant at amadensor.com> wrote:

>  In addition, even for many of the biggie titles there are freed
>> alternatives. Sure, they are not alwasy as robust or fancy as the shrink
>> wrapped titles but they exist and are not on the shelves for the same
>> reason
>> stated above.
>>

> Sometimes, it is the other way around.   I am also an audio guy, and it
> used to be that the best two track audio editor was Cool Edit.   Adobe
> bought it, and killed it.   Luckily we have Audacity (works in a similar
> way) to replace it, so now the best one is freed, not shrunk.  Also, since
> it is open and the code is out there, it cannot die if someone buys out the
> developers.

Point taken. I was simply conceding that FLOSS is not currently always of
the same level as "some" proprietary software. I would agree that FLOSS is
often much better (better could mean safer or flashier or faster or more
cleanly coded or...) than paid software but there are a couple big apps that
tend to get the most focus. OO.o being one of them and the frequent
complaint that it isn't as good as the "other" office suite - to which I
point out that for most people it good enough.

Btw, I have to say this discussion is very interesting. I'm not in the
software business (teacher by trade) and don't have the same level of
knowledge as most of you and this is an education for me. However, when I
was introduced to the open source would about 3 years ago I saw right away
that there was a beauty to the philosophy that really spoke to me and I
believe that there is something here that is simply right with respect to
humanity - at least to the extent that technology impacts humanity. I find
it reassuring that so many here seem to echo my feeling/beliefs even if not
always in the exact same way. I, for one, appreciate the education.

--
Jim (Ubuntu geek extraordinaire)
----