[NCLUG] Suggestions for a distro change

R P Herrold herrold at owlriver.com
Tue Apr 7 17:15:20 MDT 2009

On Tue, 7 Apr 2009, Steve Wolf wrote:

> I met CentOS when I worked at a data center that runs thousands of
> CentOS-based servers (Fortress ITX in New Jersey), and CentOS and I
> have had a good long-term relationship ever since.  CentOS tracks
> RHEL, but without the Red Hat fees.  I'm running CentOS on both my
> work laptop and my home server/firewall.
>
> CentOS just released 5.3.  Updating from 5.2 was painless -- just
> another simple "yum update".

As part of the CentOS QA team, let me ask that others reading
this please consider following the two step process outlined
in the Release Notes and update just glibc\* first

Something like this is safer still, but a bit harder to
remember:
 	yum -y clean all
 	yum update glibc\*
 	yum update rpm
 	yum update yum
 	yum -y clean all
 	yum update

As to the original poster, with four versions of Fedora
floating around, almost certaily at least two and probably
three are out of support, and so vulnerable to rot into
exploits.  It should be possible to directly move any
pre-Fedora 9 unit to centos 5.3 with a media based upgrade.

-- Russ herrold