[NCLUG] Question: Fedora 12 Kickstart Wierdness

Marcio Luis Teixeira marciot at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 18 18:03:23 MST 2009

Hi everyone,

Has anyone encountered problems getting Anaconda to properly read and apply the partitions specified in a kickstart file under Fedora 12? I've been trying variations for days, and it either crashes the installer with an exception, or the few configs I have gotten to work, it simply does the wrong thing. For example, when I have the following lines in my kickstart:

graphical
interactive
install
zerombr
bootloader --location=mbr --driveorder=sda --append=" LANG=en_US.UTF-8 SYSFONT=latarcyrheb-sun16 KEYBOARDTYPE=pc KEYTABLE=us rhgb quiet"
part /boot      --fstype=ext3 --size=200
part pv.01      --grow --size=1
clearpart --all --drives=sda
volgroup VolGroup --pesize=4096 pv.01
logvol /        --fstype=ext3 --name=lv_root    --vgname=VolGroup --size=40960
logvol /scratch --fstype=ext3 --name=lv_scratch --vgname=VolGroup --size=19216
logvol swap                   --name=lv_swap    --vgname=VolGroup --size=1056

When I go through the install wizard and check "Review and modify partitioning layout" Anaconda has made a total mess:

LVM Volume Groups:
   Vol Group:
      lv_root / ext3      40969
      lv_scratch /scratch ext3 19219
      lv_swap swap 1056
   VolGroup00:
      lv_root / ext4      25644
      lv_swap swap 1056
Hard Drives:
   /dev/sda:
      /dev/sda1 /boot ext4 200
      /dev/sda2 /boot ext4 200
      /dev/sda3 physical volume (LVM) 30518
      /dev/sda4 Extended 30514
         /dev/sda5 physical (LVM) 26703

Obviously in my kickstart file I meant to redefine / and /boot as ext3, add a single swap and a new partition called /scratch, but Anaconda does not get it. It creates the default layout, the tacks on my requested partitions, leaving me with everything in duplicate.

Has anyone run into this problem? Does anyone know of a solution?

-- Marcio