[NCLUG] linux for old 95 machine?

Michael Riversong mriversong at earthlink.net
Sat Dec 26 18:46:00 MST 2009

Have installed Linux on several donated older machines since 2001.  Here are a few bits of knowledge:

Generally you need an older Linux for an older machine.  With only 64 MB of RAM, the limitations are severe.  Stuff in whatever extra memory you can!  Win 95 & 98 don't need much RAM, but almost everything decent does.  Then, there's the problem of using the Internet.  Some of the older distributions, like Ubuntu 5, assume that you're connecting through a server and don't actually have Internet access in the distribution.

With 64 MB RAM, the only distributions that worked consistently were Corel and Slackware.  Sometimes Xandros 2.0 (the successor to Corel) could be forced to work.  That family has about the best graphics in the Linux world.

Managed to get the older version of Debian running (2 generations back), but never tried to access the Internet with it.

Also found SuSe 7.2 and 7.3 worked fairly well.  Again, didn't try the Internet with those.

Fedora Core 1.0 worked but only with 128 MB RAM.  Its Internet setup was excellent!