[NCLUG] linux for old 95 machine?

Bob Proulx bob at proulx.com
Sun Dec 27 17:30:41 MST 2009

Michael Riversong wrote:
> Many people like Debian because it can be made less complicated.
> Unfortunately, when dealing with older machines, it's not always
> possible to make even a minimal installation work and hope to weed
> out unnecessary things later.  In some cases, particularly with
> Slackware, it is possible to strip an installation down tremendously
> but that takes a lot of time which might be better used finding a
> more contemporary machine.

IIRC in the old days of Debian Woody a minimum installation was around
105MB.  I just did a fresh small install of Debian Sid to check the
current size and the total came in at 200MB.  It has gotten fat.  And
of course that is the minimum size and anything that needs to be added
still needs to be installed so it is going to get even fatter yet.

As far as the small older system went the 2G+1G disk didn't both me
anywhere near as much as the 64M of ram for small living space.

Bob