[NCLUG] RHEL Upgrade 4.6-4.8

Charles Hutchinson chutchin at geekboi.org
Mon Nov 9 16:32:34 MST 2009

On RHEL 4 if you are updating from RHN or a Satellite server you can do the
following commands:

up2date -u --dry-run

Or if you want to update the kernel and other excluded packages:

up2date -uf --dry-run

These will output all of the packages that will be updated.

Charlie

On Mon, Nov 9, 2009 at 4:00 PM, <grant at amadensor.com> wrote:

> We are looking at upgrading some machines from 4.6 to 4.8.    The
> production machines are getting new hardware and need the newer kernel to
> work.
>
> Does anyone have a good way to tell what packages or functionality will be
> upgraded?   I want to get a good list together of what we need to test
> before we let them break production.
>
> I have looked at Red Hat's site, but it only tells me about 3-4, not minor
> versions like 4.6 to 4.8.
>
> Has anyone done a similar upgrade?   Anything in particular that went
> poorly?

Ogden Nash <http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/o/ogden_nash.html>  -
"The trouble with a kitten is that when it grows up, it's always a cat."