[NCLUG] Netbook/laptop reccomendation?

Scott Scriven nclug at toykeeper.net
Sat Nov 28 14:30:03 MST 2009

* Joel Nevison <jvnn at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Today I see an Acer 10.1" netbook with xp for $197.  Does
> anyone use this machine and have feedback?

I just got exactly that one yesterday...  I'm using Ubuntu
Netbook Remix on it, plus Ubuntu Studio.  It works pretty well so
far, except that I had to add 'pci=noacpi' to the kernel command
line to get it to boot, and I had to use the wired NIC to
download its wifi driver.

I may not have typical uses in mind, though.  The idea was to get
a machine to use for music composition, stepmania, and writing.
Coffee shops are a nice bonus too, especially since the netbook
fits in my coat pocket.

Why did I pick this model?  Mostly because it has the best
keyboard of any netbook I've tried, it works well with Linux, and
it was only $200.  Also, I heard it was fast enough to do some
real-time musical tasks with soft synths, midi, and jack.

Originally, I was going to get the model with a bigger battery
(5800mAh, advertised as 9 hours), but that one was $330 instead
of $200, and it costs less than $130 to get a bigger battery.
And I don't really need a long battery life for most of what I
have in mind.

I'm happy with it so far.  :)

-- Scott