[NCLUG] RAID-1 and disk speed

grant at amadensor.com grant at amadensor.com
Tue Oct 20 10:23:39 MDT 2009

I have a question.   Has anyone tried pairing very different speed disks
with a mirrored RAID array?   Do you manage to get the faster one to
answer most of the time, at least for reads?

My thought is that if I were to pair a very fast SSD with a more reliable
traditional magnetic disk, could the application see at least some of the
benefit of the improved performance, with the added security of the real
disk?

Also it could be fun to do this with the block device over network trick
that has been in the kernel for a few years, and have the second drive be
in a different physical machine.   Imagine a RAID mirror in another
building for added safety in case of disaster.