[NCLUG] RAID-1 and disk speed

Kasey Erickson kasey.erickson at gmail.com
Tue Oct 20 10:56:24 MDT 2009

> My thought is that if I were to pair a very fast SSD with a more reliable
> traditional magnetic disk...

>  ...with the added security of the real disk?

I moved to SSD on my laptop _because_ of the unreliability of spindled
storage.  I've had two drive failures this last year, seagate 320G and
seagate 200GB.  Flash specs put cell failure at about 5 years, write
100GB/day on 128GB.  No moving parts means little chance for
mechanical failure.

The flash controller is the most important part of the disk.  I
personally like Intel and Samsung controllers because of solid
performance and great user reviews from several online hardware
vendors.

I see mixed SSD and disk (in RAID) as a cost cutting strategy not as a
reliability improvement.

Kasey