[NCLUG] RAID-1 and disk speed

Bob Proulx bob at proulx.com
Tue Oct 20 10:59:35 MDT 2009

grant at amadensor.com wrote:
> My thought is that if I were to pair a very fast SSD with a more reliable
> traditional magnetic disk, could the application see at least some of the
> benefit of the improved performance, with the added security of the real
> disk?

Hmm...  In my mind the SSD is more reliable than the spinning media of
a hard disk.

Consider this thought.  When a hard drive fails it typically means you
can't access the data there any more.  There are endless failure modes
but often you can't read the data from the drive.  When an SSD fails
the typical case is that you can't *write* data.  In the typical case
you will be able to continue to read data from a worn out SSD for
probably ten years before the read capability decays.  This makes SSDs
much more attractive in terms of avoiding data loss when comparing
them to spinning disks.

Bob