[NCLUG] NFS Questions

grant at amadensor.com grant at amadensor.com
Wed Sep 2 12:31:29 MDT 2009

OK, NFS gurus, I have a question:

NFS allows mount by IP address (easy spoof, unplug real machine, and just
take it) and does security by UID, and trusts the client system to have
UID that matches the server.

If there any way to make it not be able to mount without authentication to
the server by NIS or something?   Otherwise, anyone has any access (except
root) and the only real use I can see for NFS is read only access to files
that everyone should have access to anyway.

If not NFS, is there something else that is useful for this?  I would like
to control who actually reads files, and know who actually wrote files.