[NCLUG] Monitor Questions

Michael Wailes mwailes at earthlink.net
Sat Sep 5 09:33:22 MDT 2009

I've got a strange problem...and potentially costly.

I'm running an Ubuntu box (specs coming) and have three monitors hooked
up to it. The problem is that if I don't shut the system down properly.
I lose the monitors. Here is a better explanation: If I turn a monitor
off, while the machine is still running, I cannot get the monitor to
come back on...it locks itself in sleep mode. Even if I switch the
monitor to another machine (mac, pc, linux)...it is just in coma. I just
had a water in the basement problem and had to shut everything down real
quick (cut the power supply) and now all the monitors are locked in
sleep mode. So far I've gone through 6 monitors. Maybe they are just
cheap monitors (AOC) but I'm thinking there might be something going on
with the video card sending a sleep signal or something.

Like I said, I will provide some more specs on the machine and the card
once I get the machine back up, but was curious if anyone else had ever
experienced a similar problem.

Thanks,

Michael D. Waile