[NCLUG] Netbook

Brian Wood bwood at beww.org
Tue Sep 22 19:31:36 MDT 2009

On Tuesday 22 September 2009 18:45:40 Michael Riversong wrote:
> Seeking recommendations on a good source for a Netbook computer.  It needs
> to have a good built-in antenna.  It should either have Linux preinstalled,
> or be bare so i can install it.  Would probably go with Ubuntu since
> several East Coast social entrepreneurs i work with use that.
>
> Price is a terribly important consideration.

I would look here:

http://www.geeks.com/products.asp?cat=NBB

Also:

http://www.geeks.com/products_sc.asp?cat=1128

I've done business with these folks, and have never had any problems.

I'd also look at "EasyPeasy", which is an Ubuntu "remix" customized for
netbooks.

Personally I'd go with the EeePC, I have one and love it. It also happens to
meet your cost requirement.

I'm not sure how "good" the built-in antenna is, but it works well for me.

There are also MIPS-based netbooks available for about $149, like the
Alpha-400, but unless you are familiar with compiling for the MIPS CPU I
wouldn't suggest going that route, since you basically have to compile most
software yourself to get it to run on the MIPS. It's a great toy, not a
practical machine for non-techy people.

http://www.pacificgeek.com/product.asp?c=213&s=1164&ID=847129&P=F

I have seen these used for $99, but again, I'm not suggesting you go that
route, unless price is a REALLY big factor. If you had to replace the battery
you would be right back up to the cost of a new unit.

You also want to consider if you really want to go the netbook route, there
are some fairly cheap full laptops out there, you might want to consider the
G4 iBook (first listing):

http://www.geeks.com/products_sc.asp?cat=608

Of course the C2D MacBooks are even nicer, but cost more, and you did say cost
was a big factor.

I run Ubuntu on a G4 iBook and it's great, in some ways it handles the
hardware better than OSX (trackpad and WiFi).

Tatooine Electronics (East of Cheyenne) usually has some used Dell laptops for
sale in the $150-$250 range. You can't count on the battery being in good
shape (true of any used laptop), but otherwise they are generally OK, most
come with XP and Office installed (legally).

The problems with the netbooks are small screens and non-standard keyboards.
If you are a touch typist you may not like the KBs.

Renaissance in Fort Collins sells used laptops, their prices seemed a bit high
to me, but if you get any kind of warranty it might be worth looking into.

Likenew PC in Denver (Arvada) also sells used laptops, they used to have a FtC
store, but that closed (a very long story I understand).

--
Brian Wood
bwood at beww.org