[NCLUG] Netbook

Brian Wood bwood at beww.org
Tue Sep 22 19:44:09 MDT 2009

On Tuesday 22 September 2009 18:45:40 Michael Riversong wrote:
> Seeking recommendations on a good source for a Netbook computer.  It needs
> to have a good built-in antenna.  It should either have Linux preinstalled,
> or be bare so i can install it.  Would probably go with Ubuntu since
> several East Coast social entrepreneurs i work with use that.
>
> Price is a terribly important consideration.

One more thing:

I would buy a netbook only if you are sure you WANT a netbook. If you buy one
just to save money over a notebook/laptop, you are likely to be disappointed.

Most netbook owners I know also have a full-sized laptop/notebook. I use my
netbook only when I just can't carry anything larger, and don't plan to do
anything too ambitious. An hour of typing on the small KB and looking at the
small screen is very tiring.

If at all possible, try the machine out before purchasing, by going to a
retail store and acting interested. Pay particular attention to the trackpad
or other pointing device, some of them have the buttons placed very oddly. Of
course you can always carry a mouse with you (I do).

--
Brian Wood
bwood at beww.org