[NCLUG] Netbook

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Wed Sep 23 09:43:17 MDT 2009

On 09/22/2009 07:31 PM, Brian Wood wrote:
> Personally I'd go with the EeePC, I have one and love it. It also happens to

Evelyn and I have Eee 901s that we got before a trip earlier this year as
basically disposable laptops for that trip in case we lost them.  And
in my case it was half the weight of my laptop (Evelyn's laptop is around
the same weight).

Since then I really haven't used it because of the keyboard layout.  The F
and number lines are each shifted from my normal layout and I found that
very painful.

I've wished I had gotten an Acer Aspire One, because the keyboard looks
like a better layout.  Though part of the reason I went with the Eee was
it was one of the few I could get with Linux rather than Windows, and
even though I intended to do a re-install anyway, I decided I wanted to
"send a message".

The HP also seems to have a nice keyboard.

The one I really want is the Sony Vaio P, which is extremely light and has
a trackpoint and a reasonable keyboard (I've tried it when I was at CDW in
Chicago).  But, even if you can find one for a good deal on ebay, they
still aren't nearly as disposable as the Eee.  You can sometimes find them
for $550 on ebay, but that's rare.  New they're $900 and up.  1.5 pounds
though.

> The problems with the netbooks are small screens and non-standard keyboards.
> If you are a touch typist you may not like the KBs.

I am a touch typist and while the Eee was a very small keyboard, I didn't
have that much of a problem with it except for the first two rows being
shifted.  Though I think I would have been much more comfortable with a
slightly larger keyboard, and definitely without the moving around.

That said, I'm trying to decide if I am going to replace my Eee before this
trip I take to Canada, where I'd be just as happy not carrying all this
client and personal data across the border (and back, being the main
consideration).