[NCLUG] mbox -> maildir

grant at amadensor.com grant at amadensor.com
Tue Apr 6 16:25:38 MDT 2010

I am currently using mbox with uw-imap.   On large mailboxes, performance
is rather stinky.

By breaking it up, into maildir, I expect that I can get a performance
bump, especially when using Squirrel Mail webmail.  We have individual
mail boxes with upwards of 30,000 messages.

What is a good, simple, imap server to replace uw-imap with?   I hear good
things about dovecot and cyrus.   I am looking for minimal administration
in exchange for minimal features.   It is just a little home server with
5-10 users.    All of the mail is collected by fetchmail from real hosting
services, then kept locally to improve performance and bypass mailbox size
quotas.