[NCLUG] Image Crop Tool?

Bob Proulx bob at proulx.com
Wed Apr 7 15:15:06 MDT 2010

Chad Perrin wrote:
> Isn't XV actually shareware?

Correct.  It is shareware.  With a free for personal use clause.  But
requires a license for any setting past the personal use environment.
For me that failed the test.

> Does the software have to be pretty?  XPaint is both ugly and functional.

Hmm... xpaint.  That works!  Looks like it is using the original X11
libraries and they have built their own widgets and behavior in the
old style.  But it does do exactly what I need.

> It's also fairly lightweight.  I don't know how it really compares to
> stuff like paint.net (however that's supposed to be capitalized), but it
> seems like an obvious, intuitive assumption that anything relying on a
> Mono or .NET framework is probably a good deal heftier (once all
> dependencies are factored in, at least) than XPaint.

It does exactly what I need.  For me if I need a graphical tool I
think that xpaint would be my choice.  Because it is light on
dependencies and works.  But it isn't a pretty tool.  Thanks for the
good suggestion.

> It's also GPL, which (to me at least) isn't ideal, but it's a darned
> sight better than shareware, freeware, or just plain ol' payware.

Free software had advantages that are hard to put a price on.

And xpaint is in Debian so I can just install it.  However... It looks
like xpaint isn't in Fedora 9 and it is on FC9 at the school where
this is needed.  (FC9, yes, I know.  I am working on that too.  Baby
steps...   Baby steps...)  But it would be easy to build for it.

Bob