[NCLUG] Eaton Schools intoduction and we are New to Ubuntu

Jerry Windsor JKWindsor at eaton.k12.co.us
Wed Apr 21 09:24:56 MDT 2010

We are a small school district in northern Colorado that is looking at possibly reducing our tie and dependency on Microsoft.  We do a significant amount of behind the scene work using command line.

To begin the process we have been working extensively with Ubuntu, Edubuntu, and Ubuntu version of LTSP.  We have a half a dozen dual boot computers, another half dozen Ubuntu only, a dozen command line installs using Xorg to run a rdesktop connection to a Windows terminal server, and we have a couple dozen computers that are pxe booting to a LTSP server.  We have been using the forums very successfully.

As we have ventured down this road we are very impressed with how helpful people have been.  If anyone has any advice for us as we move forward in a school environment, we would love the input.

We have run into a couple of things that we might need some ideas on, so we will submit some questions in the future.

Thank you in advance for any help and advise that you might offer us.

Jerry Windsor
John Baker
Jesse Griffin