[NCLUG] Trying to check ThinkPad support for Linux

Bob Proulx bob at proulx.com
Mon Apr 26 13:01:32 MDT 2010

Brian Wood wrote:
> grant wrote:
> > Nano ROCKS!!!!!!!
>
> Nano is actually just a modified "Pico", which is the PIne COmposer.

Pico has a license that prohibits distribution of modified versions.

  http://www.washington.edu/pine/overview/legal.html

Nano was created as a replacement but using the GPL so that there
would be a freely available editor.  If Pico had a free license then
there wouldn't be a need for Nano.

> One big advantage to vi is that is available on just about any Unix system,

The old vi/nvi has almost always been available in the past.  But the
new vim is about like the old emacs now.  It comes in multiple flavors
of tiny and full featured.  Installations now vary.

> even if the graphics subsystem is not installed or is faulty. No graphical
> desktop required.

Of course the same is true of emacs.  Small versions are available.
No graphical desktop is required.  (I mostly run it over an ssh on a
remote machine in the text terminal.  Often in 'screen'!)

But if you are talking standard editors then you have to be talking
about 'ed'!  It is The Standard Text Editor after all.  It says so
right there in the man page:

  http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=ed&apropos=0&sektion=0&manpath=2.9.1+BSD&format=html

  Ed is the standard text editor.

:-)