[NCLUG] Linux on laptop - can I buy any laptop I want, or do I still need to check for hardware compatibility?

John Gilmore j.arthur.gilmore at gmail.com
Sat Aug 28 11:42:20 MDT 2010

I'm going to be buying a couple of laptops of my children, and maybe one for
my wife, and since I haven't looked at hardware compatibility levels in
years I have to ask.

Last time I bought a computer, I checked to be sure that the video chip
supports 3D acceleration under linux. I'm assuming that with a laptop I also
have to check that the wireless chip is supported? Anything else that may
cause big problems?

I'll be buying used laptops, probably about 2-3 years old. Do I still need
to check for linux compatibility? Or havce things improved to the point that
any 2-yr old laptop will work fine? Any suggestions as to how to check
quickly and efficiently so as to not delay bidding?