[NCLUG] A *nix DFS alternative?

DJ Eshelman djsbignews at gmail.com
Wed Feb 17 09:40:43 MST 2010

DFS does a similar thing, where it will (up to a specified limit) in the
case of file conflicts store a copy and run a somewhat intelligent
algorithm to determine which file is current, then only change those
bits.  My problem with rsync the last time I tried it was exactly what
you mention- if a file was open it wouldn't read and would try to
overwrite with the one that was open (granted, that was on two Windows
servers over a VPN, that issue may not exist on Linux servers).  Your
thought about compression over rsync got me to thinking and there was a
project going that was using 7-zip compression end-to-end but it's gone
stale

I may end up trying rsync initially for just our files (kind of an
active backup) and see how that goes.  My fear is really just loosing
data more than keeping a realtime service going, I suppose- I just want
to build it right from the start instead of having to constantly tinker
with it while it's a production system.  At first we may only have a few
files each week that change, for which rsync would be great.

Eventually I want to be able to offer clients an alternative to
RDB/IronMountain, etc but it's really hard to find user-friendly
automatic backups, especially with bit-level deltas and easy recovery.
BackupPC is what I'm currently considering for that end of things, but
I'm also targeting a heavy Mac audience (grumble grumble), so whatever I
choose will have to be as good on the front end as on the back.  I can
see why the existing solutions charge so much, but I'm thinking of
selling it as a value add instead of a standalone solution.

keep the thoughts coming though, I really appreciate it!