[NCLUG] A *nix DFS alternative?

grant at amadensor.com grant at amadensor.com
Thu Feb 18 14:14:42 MST 2010

>> As for compression, Adobe RAW images are not compressed, nor would
>> the type of TIFFs the pros use, apparently.  I'm sure JPEG versions
>> would be included and of course I'm not worried about those.
>
> TIFFs!  They can be very large.  My mind staggers under the blow of
> thinking about how much data that could be manipulating.  I would
> really be trying hard to reduce those to a compressed format locally
> as soon as possible and trying to avoid moving those around or even
> storing them long term.  Hopefully.  If possible.

Most lossless compression schemes work very poorly on images.  LZW is OK,
and it out of patent.   Then again, it just might stink to send an image
across, which makes it more of an issue of only sending it when you REALLY
need to.

I have another question:   How many locations are you looking at, eventually.