[NCLUG] A *nix DFS alternative?

grant at amadensor.com grant at amadensor.com
Mon Feb 22 10:53:10 MST 2010

> I think for now I'm just going to make sure the file structuring is the
> same on both ends and use rsync until things get out of hand.
>
> The torrent idea is interesting- I'll have to look into that some more-
> I'm a little concerned about active changes and of course security- if
> this solution is good for me, it's very likely we'll end up doing the
> same thing at my office, which means we'll need encrypted transfers for
> HIPAA and SBO compliance.  The Murder idea is an interesting use of the
> Torrent structure- but I often wonder if it's the most efficient,
> especially for large files.  I was also thinking about doing more
> research into how Google does YouTube, but Google has always been an
> enigma wrapped in a mystery :)

rsync will do the job.    Torrent is NOT the most efficient when you have
only two nodes.   It is very fault tolerant, and scales well.  Versioning
would only be possible by making a new file, and keeping track of the
relationships between the torrent files outside the tool, or using a
version control system like SVN.

As for how Youtube does it:   Speed is just a question of money.   How
fast do you want to go?