[NCLUG] Hacker Space Anyone?

Paul Hummer paul at eventuallyanyway.com
Wed Jan 6 09:28:20 MST 2010

On Wed, 6 Jan 2010 08:22:26 -0700, Zooko Wilcox-O'Hearn <zooko at zooko.com>
wrote:
> On Wednesday, 2010-01-06, at 7:34 , Michael D. Wailes wrote:
>
> > Something like this?
> >
> > http://hackerdojo.pbworks.com/
> >
> > Lucky suckers in Mountain View.
>
> I don't have personal experience with hackerdojo, but if I understand
> correctly it is a for-profit organization and the visitors tend to be
> more startup-oriented and less art-oriented than e.g. Noisebridge.
> Hackerdojo also sounds like an interesting model, but I bet it would
> fly better in Boulder, where there are lots of startups who will pay
> to spend time there, than in Fort Collins.
>
> Another angle is that there are quite a few machine-and-maker clubs
> nowadays where people can get access to machines and tools as well as
> socializing with other "makers".  That's yet a third (or fourth) kind
> of social hacker gathering place that we could use more of around here.

Well, I have a MakerBot[1] coming in the next few months, and it would really
cut down on my buyer's remorse if I could put it in a place where people could
explore the idea a little more (provided they pay for the extruder plastic,
etc.).  I'm also looking to build a CNC machine in the next few months to etch
PCB boards, so giving others access to that would also make me happy (and
maybe force me to finish the project).

Cheers,
Paul

[1] http://makerbot.com/