[NCLUG] Ubuntu Video Issues

Stephen Warren swarren at wwwdotorg.org
Thu Jan 7 08:59:58 MST 2010

Brian Wood wrote:
> On Wednesday 06 January 2010 08:34:19 pm Stephen Warren wrote:
>> Hmm. I'm not aware of any particular issues that make 185 worse than any
>> other driver series overall, and I would be, given I write part of them.
>
> If I recall correctly, there was some issue with memory usage, it caused
> problems with video cards with under 512MB, and cleared up with the 190
> drivers. This was all related to using VDPAU.
>
> Of course the reports may not be totally accurate. ...

Yeah, there were no VDPAU memory usage regressions in 185 relative to 180
that were fixed in 190. In fact, I don't think there were any significant
memory usage differences between any driver releases, except that in
185.19, on IGP systems, it gained the ability to use sysmem for certain
memory allocations, thus reducing vidmem pressure. That would have made
185.* better than earlier releases. (Note: due to our branching model,
185.19 came after 185.13 but before 185.18.*. Sigh.).