[NCLUG] Any interest in another 3-hour Python intro?

Goodman,Darrin Darrin.Goodman at ColoState.EDU
Fri Mar 5 13:08:34 MST 2010

-----Original Message-----
From: Sean Reifschneider

> It's been a while since my last Python intro, and I was wondering
> if there was any interest in another one.  Or perhaps a slightly
> more advanced one.

I'd be interested in attending.  Just last week (2/25), Rick Spencer (rickspencer3) gave a talk as a precursor to Ubuntu Opportunistic Developer Week on beginning programming in Python - the workshop was conducted via IRC.  For the purpose of the workshop, he came up with the idea of making a simple text-based game (written in Python) where you are standing in front of a house, and you can go, look, take, use, and put... meaning that you can go through a doorway, look into a room, take an object, put an object, etc.  I worked on the game during the session and then spent another hour or so working on it later in the evening, and I started considering how I could handle more of the actions using functions rather than writing repetitive code -- during this time I was thinking about how it would be nice to have some more experienced users around to help guide me in my learning process (Hacking Society? Pythonistas?).  It would be fun to work on a project like this and let it grow perhaps over a few different sessions.  Each session might focus in implementing certain ideas or principles.

For me, this sort of process of teaching worked really well, where there was a defined goal and defined tasks that needed to be completed.  Then we could learn about Python syntax as we progressed with the framework.

If you are interested in seeing rickspencer3's workshop and his python example; this one was geared towards beginners:
Wiki: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuOpportunisticDeveloperWeek/IntroToPythonForTotalBeginners
IRC Log: http://irclogs.ubuntu.com/2010/02/25/%23ubuntu-classroom.html#t15:05

He also taught a second workshop, which was geared more towards programmers:
Wiki: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuOpportunisticDeveloperWeek/IntroToPythonForProgrammers
IRC Log: http://irclogs.ubuntu.com/2010/02/25/%23ubuntu-classroom.html#t16:05

Also, I hosted the last session here at CSU Extension in our classroom; if we had 20 or less participants, I could most likely host it again, but I would need to confirm this with my boss first.  Alternatively, the basement of the Wild Boar coffee shop would be a good place to host, so long as someone brings a projector and a screen (or a sheet or something).  They are good about letting people host activities down there, so long as everyone purchases food/beverages.

-Darrin