[NCLUG] Notes from my talk on ZFS on Tuesday.

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Thu Mar 11 15:19:35 MST 2010

Here are the commands and the overview I used for my talk on ZFS on
Tuesday.  Before you can do the zpool, you need to have zfs-fuse running.
So probably install it from your distro and do /etc/init.d/zfs* start.

zpool create -f data raidz /dev/sd*4
df -h
ls /data
zfs create data/backups
zfs create data/backups/localhost
zfs set dedup=verify data/backups/localhost
cp -ax / /data/backups/localhost

Features:
   All data checksumed.
   RAID integrated with file-system.
   Lightweight sub-filesystems.
      Each user/system/whatever could have their own file-system.
   Flexible snapshots, no need to pre-allocate.
   Transparent compression.
   Block-level deduplication (beta).
   Provable data integrity.
   SSDs can be used for cache and journal.
ZFS-fuse:
   User-space ZFS on Linux.
   Available *NOW*.
   Responsive development community.
   Stable 0.6.1 release.
   In common distros.
   Not really going to be your root file-system.
   More ready for prime time than BTRFS.
   Crypto via dm-crypto.
   No .zfs snapshot directory, use clone instead.
ZFS-fuse Status:
   I've been using zfs-fuse since mid 2008.
   And ZFS for about a year or more before that on OpenSolaris.
   Core has mostly been stable.
   Snapshots and zfssend have been problematic.
   Only one "serious" data loss event (during upgrade from ancient version).
   Much more stable recently.
   De-duplication is not ready for prime-time yet.
   0.6.* release I haven't been able to kill.
Uses:
   Long-term storage server (Provable integrity).
   Backup server (Snapshots better than rsync hardlink tricks)
   Nexenta allows roll-back to before "apt-get" commands.

zpool list
zfs create data/backups/localhost2
zfs set dedup=verify data/backups/localhost2
cp -ax / /data/backups/localhost2
zpool list

zfs snapshot data/backups/localhost at first
zfs snapshot data/backups/localhost at second
zfs create data/backups/snapshots
zfs clone data/backups/localhost at first data/backups/snapshots/localhost-first
zfs clone data/backups/localhost at second data/backups/snapshots/localhost-second

 I'd like an order of fries, a quarter-pounder with cheese,
 I love the light in your eyes, will you go out with me please.