[NCLUG] SSH on Android

Anthony Foiani tkil at scrye.com
Mon Mar 22 00:38:10 MDT 2010

Chad Perrin <perrin at apotheon.com> writes:
> [ConnectBot]'s pretty nice from what I've seen, but apparently all
> it does is shell login, because I can't find any way to use SFTP or
> SCP with it, which is really the bigger concern at this time.

I'm curious: what combined SSH/SFTP app have you ever seen on any
system anywhere?

In my experience (on Linux, Windows, and OSX), they have always been
separate products (or a single product, but different executables,
each called by the respective shell).

  Linux: openssh -> "ssh" and "scp", invoked by your favorite shell

  OSX: same for command-line use; there's iTerm and similar for
       SSH+term emulation, and various file transfer apps for sftp.

  Windows: PuTTY and PSCP, again invoked from command line or GUI.

So what kind of combined app are you looking for?  Can you give us an
example of such a product on any common OS?

For that matter, what kind of local storage layout is even exposed to
Android apps, that you could usefully SFTP in/out of?  Would you want
to transfer a file down, edit it locally on your Android device, and
then re-upload it?

I guess I find your request to be a pretty difficult one to fulfill on
a "full" computing platform, let alone on a more limited one.

Curious,
t.