[NCLUG] Home Linux experience on a resume

dlc dlc at frii.com
Tue Mar 23 00:19:14 MDT 2010

Some hints:

Number one - there is no one-page requirement.  Use what you need, but
don't get extravagant and be succinct.  Mine were two to two and a half.

Number two - Know what you want and tailor the resume to the job you are
applying for.  A generic resume is a lost cause.

Number the rest:
Highlight your strengths first.  Put key words in bold type. Your resume
must tell these things:

Who you are
What you want
What your education is
What you can do
Why you should be the one they pick and what they'll miss if they don't
Where you created your work and what it was

Volunteer work, "independent" work or contracting, even as a summer
intern are all valuable work experience.

Never lie, but don't be bashful either!  You are advertising yourself, I
have never seen a commercial for something "pretty good".  Put your best
foot forward.

Learning something on your own isn't something to be ashamed of,
employers may look at it as a "self-starter" trait.  My learning process
took the form of volunteer contract work for others and I put it down as
contract work.  You are only as interesting as your last three years, so
make sure that stuff is on top.  Don't bother with hobbies or personal
information, only work and career stuff is of interest.  Make it jump
off the page, do NOT write in grad-school third-person impersonal.  Use
"I" and "Me", tell your story and use words that stand out.  Reading
these is boring, they will remember the ones that aren't.

Finally, tune your cover letter to the position _specifically_ that you
are applying for.  There is no such thing as a generic cover letter!

Have fun with it, be as complete as needed and good luck!

DLC