[NCLUG] Home Linux experience on a resume

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Wed Mar 31 20:52:05 MDT 2010

On 03/22/2010 11:50 PM, Brendan Long wrote:
> if I was hiring someone I wouldn't care about this "always use one page"

Yeah, you say that now, but tell me what you think of it when it's 6pm and
you have 120 resumes and cover letters to go through.  It's not a rule,
it's trying to get you to realize that you should spend some time on making
your resume as concise as possible, so that you make the best use of the
person's time who is reviewing it.

It's been a long time since I've done a resume, but when I did them in the
past I customized wrote each one.  I had a master resume that listed all my
experience in detail, and I would take that and go through and edit it down
for the specific job posting.  Sure, it took about an hour per submission,
but if you're looking for work, looking for work *IS* your day job.  :-)

Anyway, I always found I could do what I needed to do in one page with a
cover letter.