[NCLUG] [OT?] Vimium on Chromium on FreeBSD

Chad Perrin perrin at apotheon.com
Thu Nov 4 15:47:20 MDT 2010

Those of you who like vi/Vim, the Chromium browser, and FreeBSD might be
interested in what I have determined to be the current state of Vimium and
Chromium on FreeBSD (on my laptop at least).

1. The Chromium browser is now in FreeBSD ports, at:

    /usr/ports/www/chromium

2. I wrote about it a bit for a TechRepublic article, at:

    http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/opensource/?p=1952

3. It looks like the best vi-like keybindings extension for Chromium right now
is the Vimium extension.  Unfortunately, Vimium will not install on the FreeBSD
port of Chromium from Google's extension gallery.

4. I fiddled with it a bit last night, and kludged a local copy of Vimium so it
will install on my FreeBSD system, then wrote about the experience:

    http://blogstrapping.com/?page=2010.308.12.13.14

5. Sadly, Vimium still is not working perfectly here.  It installs, but has
some annoying quirks.

(crossposted to a couple of mailing lists in Florida)