[NCLUG] [OT?] Vimium on Chromium on FreeBSD

Chad Perrin perrin at apotheon.com
Sat Nov 6 10:32:12 MDT 2010

On Fri, Nov 05, 2010 at 11:24:06PM -0600, Bob Proulx wrote:
> Chad Perrin wrote:
> >
> > Err . . . does this work in the browser?
>
> Yes.  For both Chromium and Firefox.

[snip explanation]

I'm glad it worked out for you, then.

> > Doesn't the Awful Bar use SQLite?  That's what I seem to recall.  If it's
> > using something more substantial to that, I may have to go stick my head
> > in the over.
>
> Yes.  The Firefox location bar uses SQLite.  Which is why I said at
> least it was a good implementation.  I like SQLite.  It's worthy.  But
> does Firefox really need a full SQL relational database engine even if
> it is a good implementation such as SQLite?

I don't think it does.  In fact, when Firefox switched, it broke some
tools I had written to accomplish tasks that Firefox didn't (involving
stuff like useful searches of stored cookies), and did not replace them
with something suitably worthy.  I was pretty annoyed by that fact, but
never quite annoyed enough to rewrite those tools to work with SQLite.

> > I really *loved* the browser when it was called Phoenix.  I still liked
> > it as Firebird.  As Firefox, I gradually started to hate it.
>
> I still miss Galeon.  The web and only the web.  Sigh.

Galeon rubbed me the wrong way, in several ways -- but it also had a nice
minimalism compared to other modern GUI-centric browsers that I
appreciated.  It started getting buggy after a while, though, and finally
got essentially abandoned, so I no longer much cared about it.