[NCLUG] Teaching dhclient to lie.

Brian Wood bwood at beww.org
Sat Oct 9 06:55:59 MDT 2010

On Friday, October 08, 2010 11:26:08 pm Brendan Long wrote:
>  On 10/08/2010 07:33 PM, Rob Elsner wrote:
> > But... but... ATI/AMD is supposed to be the most FOSS friendly vendor!
>
> I'm not so sure about that. As much evil as Intel does, they are very
> good at making open-source drivers. If I were to rank drivers for Linux
> (ignoring open vs closed source), it would be Nvidia, Intel, then
> everyone else (honestly, AMD drivers suck, ATI drivers suck, ATI + AMD
> driver suck..).

Since the main thing I'm interested in these days is decoding HD Video, nVidia's VDPAU is far better than any alternative.
Granted the nVidia drivers still use proprietary binary blobs, they do a good job, and allow very inexpensive hardware to
decode HD easily.

Neither ATI or Intel has anything even close at this time.

There is also the Broadcom CrystalHD module, but it's not a full GPU, just an "assistance" module, but I'd rate it as
number two as far as video decoding options for Linux.

Given a choice between something completely free that doesn't work, and something at least partly proprietary that does,
I'll take the working answer :-)

I had high hopes when AMD bought ATI, but they have been dashed on the rocks of reality.