[NCLUG] What's happening with CentOS?

Bill Thorson bill at tstorms.com
Mon Apr 4 14:50:56 MDT 2011

NCLUG'ers,

I'm curious what is happening in CentOS world.  I was perusing the centos.org site today and noticed that almost nothing has changed there in months or even years.  They have also not come out with a CentOS 6.0 even though the upstream vender has a 6.0 version.  I've been using CentOS for my servers for many years. (Ubuntu on my desktop/laptop the last few years)  Should I consider switching from CentOS?  I have looked at Scientific Linux and see that I seems to have more support lately.  Is SL 6.0 a good idea?

What got me looking was that I purchased a few USB 3.0 external 3 Tb drives.  I had to build the latest parted to handle the GUID partition table and 4096 block size.  Lukily CentOS 5.5 does support this partition type. I understand Ubuntu may not.  Today I was looking for PCI USB 3.0 cards supported.  It appears I should have a kernel >= 2.6.31 which CentOS 5.5 does not.  I got tired of building my own, 1-off, kernels many years ago and would not like to start now.

Thoughts and ideas?

Bill