[NCLUG] USB 3.0 PCI cards

Bill Thorson bill at tstorms.com
Wed Jul 6 16:48:40 MDT 2011

Folks,

I've purchased a few 3 Tb external USB 3.0 hard drives to use as backup devices.  I am currently using them on USB 2.0 because I have no hardware with 3.0 ports.  I'd sure like to speed this up.  This brings me to a couple questions before a purchase any cards.

   1. I believe USB 3.0 is supported in recent kernels.  I am going to put the card in a box running Ubuntu Server 10.04 x86_64.  It should be fine right?
   2. Has anybody out there done this and do you have card suggestions?
   3. I just found one 2-port card on newegg.com for $30 and then went to the manufacturer's website to read the specs.  Although USB 3.0 speeds can be up to 10x USB 2.0 speeds, they are honest enough to say with their card you will only get up to 2x USB 2.0.  Is this a function of the card, PCI or both?  Can I find better that will work?

Thanks for the help,

Bill