[NCLUG] linux latops

Brennen Bearnes bbearnes at gmail.com
Sun Mar 13 22:57:17 MDT 2011

I just bought a T410 a few months ago; have been running the latest
stable Ubuntu on it. I'm thinking about rolling over to Squeeze - it's
always nice to run a stable Debian before it gets too stale - but in
general I've been really happy with this combination.  Performance is
good, lots of bells and whistles (there are at least 3 ports/slots on
this thing that I'm not even entirely sure what they're for), and the
hardware feels like quality.  If you're down with the sort of
dystopian IBM industrial future aesthetic of it all, it's a pretty
good option.

My only bit of flakiness so far has been with the wireless card on
some networks - it'll disconnect/reconnect without any obvious
pattern.  I forget who the vendor is, but it's a Realtek RTL8192, so
you might want to watch out for that and choose a different chipset.

Oh yeah - and occasionally the battery level is incorrectly reported
after it wakes up, but otherwise the power management stuff all seems
to work as expected.

Brennen