[NCLUG] OS Communication Proxy

Neil Neely neil at neely.cx
Thu Mar 24 08:11:58 MDT 2011

That is a neat idea.  I've never encountered anything quite like that,
but I understand the need.

Rather than start from scratch you might consider extending MailMan
(http://www.gnu.org/software/mailman/index.html)
It's written in Python and is fairly legible.  It is just the email
portion, but it's a start.

On 3/23/2011 4:06 PM, Myles Bostwick wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I've got a need to communicate to a lot of people at once, much like
> this listserve :), with the caveat the the methods of communication
> can vary by person.  For further explanation by example,
>
> User A likes to be notified by txt and email.
> User B likes to be notified by facebook and twitter.
> User C-Z all have their own individual settings, that can be changed.
>
> These users could all belong to different notification groups, of
> which those groups could be targeted with a message.
>
> Before I went off and implemented something like this on my own, I
> wanted to check with you all whether you've heard of a piece of OSS
> that will do at least part of this functionality beyond just an email
> listserve. I imagine one method of doing this is to just have a
> listserve and use email boxes to get the extended functionality, but
> that feels like using an actual teleprinter instead of a terminal
> emulator.
>
> Thanks for taking the time to look,
>
> -Myles

Neil Neely