[NCLUG] 11.04 with lvm encryption

Paul Hummer paul at eventuallyanyway.com
Thu May 5 10:19:30 MDT 2011

On 5/4/11 12:30 PM, Bill Cthulhu wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Has anyone installed 11.04 with encryption.   I keep having it get stuck in
> the grub loader after install.   Both in network install and from scratch
> using the guided lvm setup.
>
> Anyone here have success?   This guy did it with an experimental file
> system:  http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1746939
> But that experimental adjective has me a little nervous.
>
> It looks like it's an official bug...
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/grub2/+bug/745960/comments/11
>
> But some people seem to get it working... any advice?  (including roll-back
> to 10.4 ;)

Yeah, Natty has been an absolute nightmare, actually.  There seem to be
all sorts of problems with this configuration on some computers, and I
doubt that it'll get fixed for Natty.  If you want encrypted root,
you'll have to install Maverick and then upgrade, but I can't guarantee
that works.  My upgrade rendered my desktop unusable for much (the
nVidia drivers had/have some compatibility drivers with the current
X.org ABI).  Since it's my desktop, and I decided to try out Ubuntu's
"encrypted home" feature instead.  We'll see how that goes.

I also experience this bug:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/grub2/+bug/699802

Cheers,
Paul