[NCLUG] Common tasks for desktop shootout next month?

Chad Perrin perrin at apotheon.com
Tue May 24 16:35:14 MDT 2011

On Tue, May 24, 2011 at 03:48:03AM -0600, Sean Reifschneider wrote:

> A few of us have decided to do a shootout between KDE, Unity, and a tiling
> window manager for the presentation next month.  The selection here was
> made simply based on attendees at the last meeting expressing willingness
> to investigate and present on.
>
> One of the items we discussed was that we needed to come up with a set of
> common tasks to show off with the different environments.
>
> So, any thoughts on that?

I'm not sure exactly what you want, but I'll make a guess and suggest:

* go from TTY or display manager interface to open http://eff.org in
  Firefox in the shortest time

* set keyboard shortcuts to open five different programs

* arrange windows by five general task-types on five different workspaces
  (or whatever is appropriately workspace-like for your GUI environment,
  such as tags in wmii and virtual desktops in Enlightenment)

This assumes, of course, that:

* Firefox is already installed and, if necessary, display manager or
  startx startup configuration (.xinitrc, for instance) is already set up

* all GUI environments "tested" either offer some mechanism for setting
  keyboard shortcuts or are compatible with some separate piece of
  software that offers that functionality -- but not that such a piece of
  software is already installed if it is not part of a normal suite that
  goes with the GUI environment in question

* all GUI environments support something like workspaces